South-Southwest Suburban United Way
South-Southwest Suburban United Way is part of a network of support for LIVE UNITED 2020, our 10-year vision for our region. The estimated population for this area is 830,000 residents. Its borders extend from Chicago on the north, the Indiana State line on the east to Will County on the south and west.
The Local Need:
- Approximately 47,000 people (ages 16-69) are unemployed.
- Many residents are stagnated in low-paying and non-career path positions.
- Several areas in the region have median incomes of less than half the national average.
- Over 14,000 people (age 25+) have an education level of 12th grade or less.
- In the Southland region, approximately 12.5% of the region’s population lives under 200% of the federal poverty level, ($44,000 for a family of four) with some areas experiencing levels higher than 20%.
Contact South-Southwest United Way: